American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
To teach those with a duty to act (professional rescuers) the skills needed to respond appropriately to breathing and cardiac emergencies. This includes the use of an automated external defibrillator (AED) to care for a victim of cardiac arrest.
Identify the responsibilities and characteristics of a professional rescuer.
- List the series of events that occur when the emergency medical services (EMS) system is activated.
- Understand legal considerations that affect a professional rescuer.
- Recognize and provide appropriate care for breathing emergencies, including cardiac arrest, and other life-threatening
Injuries and Illnesses
- Demonstrate how to properly remove disposable gloves.
- Demonstrate how to perform an initial assessment.
- Demonstrate how to perform rescue breathing (adult, child and infant).
- Demonstrate how to use a BVM with two rescuers.
- Demonstrate how to care for an obstructed airway (adult, child and infant).
- Describe when and how to use an AED.
- Demonstrate how to give CPR (adult, child and infant).
- Demonstrate how to give two-rescuer CPR (adult, child and infant).
- Demonstrate how to use an AED in cardiac arrest (adult and child).
- Demonstrate how to use an AED when CPR is in progress (adult and child).
- Approximately 8 hours
- Attend all class sessions.
- Participate in all skill sessions and scenarios.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and scenarios.
- Pass the final written exam with a minimum grade of 80 percent on both Section 1 (24 correct answers out of 30 questions) and Section 2 (8 correct answers out of 10 questions).
Certificate Issued and Validity Period
Participants who successfully complete the course have the choice of one of the following certificates:
- CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and the Healthcare Provider: 2 years
- CPR/AED for the Healthcare Provider: 2 years
- CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer: 2 years
Note: Lifeguards who successfully complete the CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer course are issued a CPR/AED for Lifeguards certificate which is valid for 1 year.
(Cost does not include books or mask. A package deal is available. Please e-mail Raj for any questions.)